Monday, October 13, 2008

Turkey and Blue Cheese Meatballs



YUM! YUM! YUM!


Don't let the name fool you, these were amazing! Even the hubby who HATES to even hear the words "Blue Cheese" agreed that this recipe was a keeper.

I found the original recipe on Allrecipes.com, but adapted it to suite our taste. The original recipe seemed a little busy and wasn't kid-friendly. So, here's my version:

INGREDIENTS:

4 cloves of garlic
1 small or 1/2 large white onion
1 pound lean ground turkey breast
4 tablespoons blue cheese
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
3 egg whites
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO as Rachel Ray would say)
1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning (you can use up to 1 tbs, I just don't like Oregano so I cut back)
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder

(now if that's not the most random list of ingredients)

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with Reynolds Release foil and set aside.
  2. Pulse garlic and onion in a food processor until minced.
  3. In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, turkey, blue cheese, bread crumbs, egg whites, and olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
  4. Season with soy sauce, parsley, Italian seasoning, pepper, and chili powder. Mix well.
  5. Roll the mixture into 2 inch balls and place on the lined baking sheet.
  6. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, approx 25 minutes.

I served this with a Vodka sauce over bow tie pasta and garlic sourdough bread. Don't forget the wine!


Check here for more tempting recipes.

8 comments:

Lana said...

Looks interesting and I will have to trust your hubby since I don't usually like blue cheese, but am willing to try.

Thanks for participating in Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Hope you'll be back.

Deanna said...

I HEART blue cheese! Absolutely love it so this is going to my definitely list.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Hi,

These sound really interesting. I think I'll have to try. They look fabulous.

Thanks for sharing!
Cheryl

Felicity said...

Ooh, I could be very tempted with these!! Btw, love the title and sub-title of your blog. Another one I have is called 'Not Just A Dr's Wife' (www.notjustadrswife.com)!

Cheers,
Felicity
http://fmll.blogspot.com

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hi! Came over from TMTT.
Actually, you had me at Blue Cheese. These sound awesome!!!!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yum. My hubby is not the friend of blue cheese,either, but this sounds great. He just may have to "suck it up" and try it.

I am so glad that you found us, and joined Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Our little food party is growing each week. There are always fun and new recipes to share. So, I really hope you will come back, again, and again.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

These sound scrumptious! Dh and I love bleu cheese! I'm making meatballs tonight, but these sound even more tempting than the ones I'm making.

Jamey said...

Wow they look great, my Hubby would love these, thanks for sharing!