Monday, May 11, 2009

Chicken Piccata

4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
flour for coating
~6 tbs unsalted butter
~5 tbs olive oil (I use extra virgin)
1/3 cup lemon juice (I use the squirt kind found in the produce section)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup capers, drained and rinsed
salt & pepper

To start, I usually use a meat tenderizer to "beat" the chicken. I find that the finished result is better if the chicken is thinner to start with. Place in a Ziploc bag before "beating" to cut down on the mess.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and coat with flour, shake off excess flour.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbs of the butter. Add 3 tbs olive oil. Add chicken, not overcrowding the pan, and cook until golden brown on each side. Move the chicken to a paper towel lined plate and continue until all chicken is cooked, adding more butter and oil as needed. Place all the chicken on the plate.

Add lemon juice, chicken broth and capers to the drippings in the pan. Return to heat and bring to a boil making sure to scrape the bits up from the bottom of the pan as you stir.

Now it's time to pass the chicken back and forth! Return the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Take it back out and place on a clean platter. Whisk 2 tbs of butter into the sauce. Pour sauce over chicken and you're done!

I usually serve this over angel hair pasta with a side of asparagus or green beans (whichever is on sale or on hand).

Visit here for more tempting recipes!

Blessed with Grace

6 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for the recipe and cooking tips. I have never made Chicken Piccata before. Now, I may do it! Thanks.

Allison said...

Sounds delicious! I'll have to give this a try!

Unknown said...

This sounds delectable! I just read a little about your twin boys! I know you must have your hands full! How fun though! Hope your Mothers day was happy!

annies home said...

Great recipe thanks for sharing

Sarah said...

My MIL made Chicken Piccata for Mother's Day - I believe with the same recipe but added white wine - and it was outstanding!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing.