Monday, April 27, 2009

Jean Snob No More!

I will admit that I am a "Jean Snob". I love designer jeans and I have been known to spend hundreds of dollars on one pair of jeans. Go ahead and gasp!

There was a time in my life when I thought that material possessions would heal the problems in my marriage and the hole in my soul where God should reside. Walking into Nordstrom's and trying on expensive jeans, being measured for alterations and being cheerfully handed my silver shopping bag made me happy.

I have since grown spiritually; healing my marriage, soul and bank account. Now the thought of not being a good shepherd of our money makes me want to vomit. Sorry for the word choice, but honestly that is what the thought of spending a ridiculous amount of money on jeans (or anything for that matter) makes me feel like...physically ill.

So why am I no longer a "Jean Snob", other than the spiritual/financial reasons? Because I found two great pairs of jeans for less than $20!

It all started with a coupon in the mail for Stein Mart...20% off two items. I also had recently found a check for $50 in a card from my birthday back in October. Deciding I would treat myself to something new, I headed to Stein Mart in search of a deal. My first stop was the clearance rack where I saw a pair of Seven jeans hanging. I quickly found a pair in my size as well as another brand, See Through Soul, that had a really cute wash and cut but that I had never heard of. With 9 pairs of jeans slung over my arm I headed to the dressing room. I narrowed it down to 2 pairs, both STS brand. The price tags said $49.98. I knew that even with the 20% off, I couldn't afford both pairs. I decided to walk around with them for a little while before making a decision. Meanwhile, I scoped out the other clearance clothing and jewelry. As I walked over to put one pair back on the rack I saw that the sign said "50% OFF RED DOT SALE"! The jeans both had red dots...and so did the earrings, bracelet, and crop jacket that I had picked up. I was able to purchase EVERYTHING! I was thrilled that I didn't have to put one pair of the jeans back because they were both super cute and I wear jeans 5 out of the 7 days of the week.

I always love looking at my receipt to see my savings. At Stein Mart they tell you what you would have spent if you had gone to the department store...$247.93...holy smokes! The guy checking me out was so great, he let me use the coupon on all my items and gave it back to me in case I wanted to use it again. Sadly my funds had been exhausted.

My point(s): When you go shopping set a budget and stick to it. Head to the clearance rack first and be sure to read the signs carefully (I rarely shop the rest of the store). Be open minded to new brands, you never know what you may find!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good for you! I'll bet you feel like a million bucks every time you wear these jeans.... just because you know you didn't break the bank to get them.

Anonymous said...

You lucky duck! I need to start signing up for more store coupons...those things are like gold, lol. I'm a handbag snob, so I can totally relate. Here's to kicking our bad spending habits. ;)

Katie said...

Way to go! I've never been to Stein Mart, but the next time I'm near one, I may have to stop in!