Friday, April 17, 2009

Restoring Order ***Updated***

Since I work full-time outside the house, I decided to make my use of only working (at work) until noon on Fridays to restore some order around the house. I started at 12:45 and here it is...2:15 and I'm done with all 5 projects! Amazing what can be accomplished when the little guys aren't around!

My projects:

- the pantry
- my glasses
- dresser
- chest of drawers
- night stand

Nothing annoys hubby more than my constant clutter! So I can't wait to see his face when he walks into our bedroom this evening!

I decided to tackle the pantry first, here is the before:

I am trying to be more frugal when purchasing groceries. As you can tell, it is really hard to see what I have in the pantry.
This task was surprisingly quick and easy...and I realized I needed to add sugar to my shopping list!

Next up, the glasses drawer, the source of many manic mornings. As an Optician, I have access to glasses at GREAT prices...so I have multiple pairs. This is the disaster I dig through to find which glasses I want to wear.

This is just the cases. Sadly, only 3 of the cases even had glasses in them...I found the rest while tackling the next three projects.

One of my favorite frame reps brought me a travel tray, this makes it much easier to find the glasses I want when I want them! I had forgotten that I had some of these. And this isn't all, one pair is on my face and another is off having new lenses mounted!

The dresser before:

And after, I redecorated a little also.

The chest of drawers before:

And after, I even found a place for the Christmas gift from my mother-in-law.

And the dreaded night stand:

It looks SO MUCH better, but I think I need to pare down my reading selection!

Thank you to Tilly for the comment about the books. I like the idea of a basket, this should also help to keep my collection under control by limiting the number of books that fit in the basket.


Thank you to Monica and Rebecca for the inspiration to RESTORE SOME ORDER!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did such a great job! I love the way you redid your dressers!

Mackenzie said...

Hey! I'm here via the Mr. Linky for the restoring order project. I'll be posting my progress later on my blog if you'd like to look. I thought I'd offer a thought on your book "collection" on your night stand. :)I have the same issue, and I have found that a nice basket really helps cut down on the visual clutter, which might be a help for your hubby! I stand then up on end, with the fronts facing the front of the basket, so that I can easily flip through them to find what I want. Just thought I'd share!
~Mackenzie

Rebecca said...

Hi Jessica,
You did a fabulous job! Well done! I love the final result of your dressers. I hope your hubby was happy - I know clutter in our home makes my hubby drives him a little bit crazy... Thanks for joining in on the fun.

The consignment shop is called Kid to Kid - there is one in North Austin as well as one in South Austin. I haven't been to the one on the south end. I really like their selection and quality. They also have new things for sale - things that are hip and fun for baby and mom. It's a pretty great place.

The other one that I have found is Once Upon A Child which is by Anderson Mill and 183. They have pretty good prices - but a very HUGE selection.

Hope your staying dry this weekend! :)

Anna said...

You got a lot done in one day! I think the basket for the books was a nice addition also. I use baskets for many of my kids books, too. The paper back books and board books especially. It's much easier for them to put books back in a basket than on a shelf.

Katie said...

Wow, what a great job of organizing! Your clutter areas are the exact same ones we have (well, except for the glasses!)...you make me want to go clean! lol - and take more before and after pics when I do - if nothing else, to show my husband the before and afters to prove I really did clean! :)

Jennifer said...

You have completely inspired me to clean something.... anything.... I've been eyeing a few quick projects around here. I'm off to tackle one. Thanks for the inspiration!